In exercise of the powers conferred under section 40 of the National Food Security, Act, 2013 and various provisions enabling this regard, and time limit for haring complaints by the District Grievance Redressal Officer under Section 15(5) of Chapter-VII (Grievance Redressal Mechanism) of the National Food Security Act, 2013, and its powers:
- Procedure for registering complaints:
- Any aggrieved person can file and register his complaint to the District Grievance Redressal Officer.
- The complaint boxes shall be opened at least once in three days to retrieve the complaints and immediate action shall be taken for their redressal.
- Complaints shall be filed with specific details and contact information of the complainant . No anonymous complaint shall be entertained.
- Where a complainant is unable to make a complaint in writing, the District Grievance Redressal Officer shall render all reasonable assistance to the person making the request orally to reduce the same in writing.
- All complaints shall be acknowledged by a receipt in writing or through electronic means, within one day of receipt of the complaint, specifying date and unique grievance number.
- Procedure for disposal of complaints:
- For every complaint received, the District Grievance Redressal Officer shall verify whether there is a prime-facie substance in the complaint to proceed in the matter.
- If the District Grievance Redressal Officer is satisfied, that there is prime-face substance in the complaint, he shall seek explanation in the mater from concerned officer(s) or agency against whom complaint has been made, alongwith relevant documents. The requisite explanation and documents shall be furnished by the concerned officer(s) or agency against whom complaint has been made, to the District Grievance Redressal Officer, within fifteen days.
- Based on the explanation of concerned officer(s) or agency against whom complaint has been made, and the available documents, if the District Grievance Redressal Officer is satisfied about the veracity of the grievance, he shall issue necessary order for its redressal within thirty days from the date of receipt of the complaint. District Grievance Redressal Officer shall dismiss the complaint, in case no merit is found.
- Powers of District Grievance Redressal Officer: The District Grievance Redressal Officer, while enquiring into complaints, shall have powers to require any person.
- To produce before, and allow to be examined such books, accounts; documents or any other material in custody or under control of the persons so required as may be specified in the requisition.
- To furnish such information as may be required.
- The District Grievance Redressal Officer can issue appropriate orders disposing of the complaints received under sub-section (1) of section 15 of the NFSA.
- While deciding a complaint, the District Grievance Redressal Officer can recommend the action to taken by the competent authority against the employee of the department concerned, if found to be responsible, according to the provisions of these rules.
- Monitoring the disposal of complaints: Disposal of complaints shall be monitored by the Secretary in charge of the Department of Food & Supplies and Consumer Affairs & Legal Metrology, U.T., Chandigarh, at least once in a month.
- Appeal: Any complainant or the officer authority against whom any order has been passed by the District Grievance Redressal Officer, who is not satisfied with the redressal of grievance, may file an appeal against such order before the State Food Commission, within thirty days from the date of the issuance of the order by the District Grievance Redressal Officer.
- Monthly Report: A monthly report on complaints received and disposed off by the District Grievance Redressal Officer shall be sent by the District Grievance Redressal Officer shall be sent by the District Grievance Redressal Officer to the U.T. Administration by 15th day of the succeeding month. The U.T., Administration shall send a monthly consolidated report to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Govt. of India, New Delhi, by the end of het quarter of the year.