ORDER UNDER SECTION 144 Cr.P.C.
Whereas, it has been made to appear to me that there is mushrooming of BPOs, prominently known as Call Centres, Corporate House, Media House, Companies, Organizations and firms in Chandigarh and near-by areas, offering employment opportunity to youth. The employees including women from various parts of the neighbouring states are staying in different part of city and other adjoining city and other adjoining cities/villages. Their employers are providing cab services for the purpose of picking and dropping them from their places of stay to office and back. As cabs are hired on contract and their operators and drivers not properly monitored to ensure safe & secure women employees. It has come to notice that certain criminal and anit-social elements look for soft targets, particularly during odd hours. The women employees who travel during late night hours are vulnerable to crime and criminal acts by such elements.
And Whereas, I, K.K. Yadav, I.A.S., District Magistrate, Chandigarh am of the opinion that some check is necessary on such companies/organizations/employers providing pick & drop facility to their employees in late night hours, transporters, security agencies/guards & drivers so as to ensure the security & safety of employees, especially women employees working till late hours.
Now therefore, I, K.K. yadav, I.A.S., District Magistrate, Chandigarh in exercise of the power with me under section 144 of the Cr. P.C., Direct that all such organizations like B.P.O.s, Call Centres, Corporate Houses, Media House, companies, firms & other similar entities, having the facility of pick & drop for their employees and the transporters, security agencies, drivers & security guards attached/concerned with them in the jurisdiction of Chandigarh, shall:
- Maintain a data of all employees, security personnel, cab drivers 7 contractual workers working with them, for access by the Police as and when required.
- Hire security personnel & other contractual personnel as far as possible from licensed agencies only.
- Ensure verification of antecedent of all their employees including contractual employees.
- Ensure that women employees are not made to travel alone with the cab driver and a duly verified security guard or a male colleague is deployed in each cab carrying women staff during night hours, i.e. 08.00 P.M. to 07.00 A.M.
- Choose the route in such manner that as far as possible a woman employee in not the first one to be picked up or the last to be dropped.
- Ensure that during night hours, the cab involved in transportation of women employee is not the first one to be picked up or the last to be dropped till she confirms her arrival at their residence/place of stay through a telephone call.
- Ensure that whenever the house of a woman employee is so located that the approach road is not motor able, the duly verified security guard or the male colleague, during night hour, accompanies the employees on foot up to her house & takes a confirmation about her safe arrival.
- Exercise effective check & control on the vehicles movements in order to check any unwarranted activities or the cab drivers, such as picking up strangers, straying up strangers, straying away from the designated route, etc.
- Get GPS system installed in the cabs used in transportation of such employees, especially women employees.
In view of the emergent nature of the order, it is being issued ex-parte and is addressed to the public in general. Any breach of this order would invite action under section 188 of the Indian Penal Code.
This order shall come into force with effect from zero hours on 18.09.2020 and shall be effective up-to and including 16.11.2020.