EXCISE POLICY OF U.T., CHANDIGARH FOR THE PERIOD 2020-21 (01.07.2020 TO 31.03.2021)
Hon’ble Governor of Punjab and Administrator U.T., Chandigarh Sh. V. P. Singh Badnore, after a detailed presentation by the Adviser, Secretary (E&T), ETC and other Senior Officers of the Excise Department, has approved Amended Excise Policy 2020-21 (01.07.2020 to 31.03.2021) as due to outbreak of coronavirus, the Excise Policy 2020-21 for the whole year (01.04.2020 to 31.03.2021) could not be notified/ implemented and the Excise Policy for the year 2019-20 was extended upto 30.06.2020. The Amended Excise Policy aims at balancing the aspirations of the consumers, manufacturers, wholesalers/ retailers and the Government. Some of the salient features of this Policy are:-
1. The allotment of licensing units will be made through complete e-tendering system for more transparency and complete online system for issuance of permit/passes to facilitate Trade and Industry has also been introduced.
2. The number of licensing units (CL/IMFL) have been reduced from 95 to 94. To curb the menace of cartelization and monopolistic practices, a single person/entity will be entitled to allotment upto a maximum of 10 vends only.
3. The total basic quota to be allotted will comprise of 75 Lac Proof Litre of Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) and 7.5 Lac Proof Litre of Country Liquor (CL) and 2.47 Lac Proof Litre of Imported Foreign Liquor (Bio Brands i.e. Whisky).
4. The quota of country liquor has been rationalized keeping in view less demand in City Shops and quota of IFL has also been rationalized keeping in view the less demand of IFL in village shops
5. In order to promote ‘Swach Bharat Abhiyan’, the retail licensees will have to maintain cleanliness and hygiene in and around the shop, failing which a penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for the first time and subsequent non-compliance, a penalty of Rs. 20,000/- shall be imposed.
6. The Cow Cess will also be applicable in the Excise Policy 2020-21(01.07.2020 to 31.03.2021). This cess will be levied @ Rs. 5 per bottle of 750 ml of Country Liquor, Rs. 5 per bottle of 650ml of Beer and Rs. 10 per bottle of 700ml/ 750 ml of whisky and will be deposited by the wholesale licensees in the dedicated bank account of Municipal Corporation. M. C., Chandigarh.
7. The levy of Covid Cess will also be applicable from 01st of July, 2020. This cess will be levied @ 5% on minimum retail sale prices of all categories of liquor to be deposited by the wholesale licensees in the dedicated bank account of Municipal Corporation. This Cess will be levied upto 31.12.2020 or as per the instructions issued by Chandigarh Administration.
8. To promote Digital India Program, the arrangement of online deposit of excise levies will start and the payment of all the amounts relating to the excise levies will be made through electronic payment platform like Debit Cards, Credit Cards, RTGS, NEFT etc.
9. Due to outbreak of coronavirus, all the excise licensees will comply with the guidelines announced by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India and State Disaster Management Authority, U.T., Chandigarh from time to time to contain the spread of Covid-19.