Chandigarh.27th February,2020:A meeting held under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Member of National Commission Sh.Jagadish Hiremani today with the officers of Municipal Corporation and other Senior Officers of Chandigarh Administration to discuss the various issues on service matters, provident fund and educational conditions of Safai Karamcharis, Manual Scavengers and their dependents and for visit in Safaikaramcharis Bastis in UT Guest House, Chandigarh.
The Hon’ble Member reviewed the issues regarding service benefits and implementation of Schemes/programmes for Safai Karamcharis and Manual Scavengers Act, 2013 as per their questionnaire. The Commissioner MC informed that out of total 3327 Safai Karamcharis working in the Corporation, 734 are permanent (16 posts filled from compassion appointment) and 299 daily wager and 2294 are working on outsourcing basis. At present 916 regular posts are vacant which has been filled on outsourcing basis as per Govt. of India instructions dated 18.03.2011 adopted by Chandigarh Administration vide dated 7.11.2014. It was also shared that outsource and contractual employees are being paid D.C. rates by Chandigarh Administration which is at higher side in northern region and 2009, 67 daily wager were regularized by the Corporation. It has also been apprised that they ensure safety kits and equipments to the regular safaikaramcharis and to outsource employees safety kits are being ensured through contractual agreement with agencies. Health facilities are also provided to each Safai Karamchari at different intervals. They also ensure their EPF/ESI deposited the respective accounts by the outsourcing agencies and only then next bill is paid/released to the concerned agency. The Commissioner also briefed to the Hon’ble Member that they have purchased recently 450 CNG vehicles for door to door garbage collectors and preference in jobs will be given to skilled door to door collectors as drivers.
Director Social Welfare apprised the Hon’ble Member about welfare schemes being run by the Chandigarh SC BC Minority & Financial Development Corporation for Safai karamcharis and their dependents. It has been shared that Loans upto Rs.1.00 Lakh to 20 dependent of Safai Karamcharis has been given under Small business/Mahila Samridhi Yojana schemes of NSKFDC and 10 loan cases are under process. Also informed the Hon’ble Member that 192 dependents of Safai Karamcharis have been provided Skill Training in 15 different trades and 100 candidates are still getting training with the Corporation. To promote education among the children of Safai Karamcharis, a cash award of Rs.30,000/- per child is given who have secured 50% marks in 10th or 12th class. During the current financial year 18 cases have been received under this scheme and award will be disbursed shortly.
The State Liaison Officer of Higher Education informed that no exclusive scheme is implemented for children of Safai Karamcharis. Most of the Safai Karamcharis belongs to SC community and they are being given scholarship under SC scholarship schemes as per eligibility criteria. However, no funds from Govt. of India have been received for the year 2018-19 and 2019-20 for 1855 cases of Post-Matric Scholarship. It has also stated that recently Chandigarh Administration had released Rs.4.00 crore under Scholarship Scheme from State Budget which has been released to the SC students. Also informed that during the year 2019-20, 30 SC/OBC students have been given scholarship for different professional courses amounting to Rs.20.47 Lakh.
Chief Engineer, UT, Chandigarh informed that an estimate amounting to Rs.4.19 Crores has been prepared for Civil/Public Health/Electrical works in 116 houses in Sunder Colony, Sector-20, Chandigarh and assured that it will be completed by 30.06.2020.
Hon’ble Member gave the following recommendations/suggestions:-
- Ensure timely payment of salary/wages to regular, contractual and outsourced employees and also to ensure minimum wages to contractual/outsourced employees.
- To ensure good Health of all Safai Karamcharis, regular health checkup camps, health insurance and to provide atleast basic safety equipments, workshop of health related issues.
- To provide houses under different housing schemes to sanitary workers/Safai Karamcharis launched by the Chandigarh Administration as well as by Govt. of India.
- Implementation of Govt. of India scheme viz. Ayushman Bharat, Atal Pension Yojana etc.
- To ensure good education facilities for the children of Safai Karamcharis and Manual Scavengers.
- Self Employment Loans upto maximum amount be provided to the dependents of Safai Karamcharis for their economic upliftment.
- 5% ceiling on compassionate appointment on the pattern of Govt of India may be waived off and adopt the policy of compassionate appointments of Punjab Government.
- Camps/Workshops may be organized at different colonies thickly populated with Safai Karamcharis by the Municipal Corporation, Social Welfare Department and Education Department in the month of March, 2019.
- Hon’ble Member suggested to Commissioner, MC that in the next House meeting of the Corporation, agenda for establishing Mayor Relief Fund may be placed for providing relief @ Rs.10.00 Lakh to the deceased Safai Karamcharis working in Municipal Corporation on daily wages/outsourcing basis.